Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tony Awards 2014

Friday night I finally got to meet up with my dear friend Agnieszka and meet her boyfriend Mike at their new home in Cranbury. It's a gorgeous historical house with three bedrooms and one-and-a-half baths, but they plan to renovate it into a four bedroom, two-and-a-half bath someday. They've only been in the house for three weeks so it's still a work in progress, but it's already a lovely space with much of Agnieszka's collection of vintage bric-a-brac on display. Even the modern gas range is modeled after an old-fashioned coal-burning unit.



Since I was so late getting back to the city, I stopped by the MMMM and saw Kiwi for a bit before making my way home.

Saturday Liz and I met up for dinner at The Counter to have some made-to-order hamburgers and catch up - it's been nearly a month since she and Josh came over for Her at TSMC. Then we walked down to Urban Stages Theater and saw The Tragedy of Dandelion, my second time to sit through this marvelous three-hour play. We chatted with Joan and Bruce, and with Kacey and Azizi after the show. Liz also knows the playwright, Duncan, whom I met briefly at the PIT once.

Afterwards, Liz and I walked up to TSMC to meet Josh, stopping at a few souvenir shops so Liz could buy some prizes for her Tony Awards viewing party on Sunday. The three of us met up at the apartment and chatted for a while until it was time for them to get home.

Sunday I had a whirlwind day of three events in a row. First was Lori's singing recital on East 87th Street, then I went home directly after to make peanut sesame noodles for Liz's party. I packed up the noodles and went out to Williamsburg for Classic Album Sundays, which was playing The Cure's bestselling album, "Disintegration."

Then I zoomed all the way back up to East 88th Street for the Tony Awards party and got there right in the middle of Hugh Jackman's opening number. Guapo was suitably dressed for the occasion:


Even though I was in a room full of theater nerds, I managed to pick 10 correct winners, second behind the other Michelle (17) and Liz (15), winning me a souvenir shot glass for a prize. Liz also made a tasty shepherd's pie, and there were Oreo cheesecake cupcakes and an assortment of cookies from Smackery's (the bacon maple cookies were my favorite!).

Monday night Piper came over and we had dinner at the Playwright Tavern on 45th and 7th Ave and watched The Blues Brothers at TSMC. She also brought me some household things she was giving away on Facebook, and we also had a nice catchup (it's been about six weeks since our last visit, although we chat online often).

Tonight is my recovery night before Katie B's event on Thursday and meeting up with Angel and Lillian on Friday. I thought I was getting sick yesterday, but it seems to have gone away now, although my allergies are still troublesome. Judging from the noises in the office, I'm not the only one who's suffering though.


Widget_logo